Sooo, we spent 2 1/2 years writing this candy cookbook, and then it came out, and it was totally awesome, except there were some mistakes in it. O noes! We agonized and beat ourselves up about it for a while; but then realized that Stuff Happens, and we needed to get over it and fix everything so that you guys could make your candy worry-free. Listed below – our pride be damned – are the mistakes and inconsistencies that we’re aware of (plus a couple extra tips to make your life easier). Hope you find them helpful, and our most sincere apologies if you had trouble with one of these recipes!
If you have trouble with a recipe, or find an inconsistency or a mistake not listed here, please email Liz and Jen! We want to make sure the second edition is absolutely pristine. Thanks in advance for your help; we couldn’t do it without you!
Here we go:
- pp. 59 & 62, Simply Perfect Dark and Milk/White Chocolate Truffles – 1 cup heavy cream = 245g.
- p. 68, Salted Soft Chocolates – Correct corn syrup measurement is 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon (300g).”
- p. 83, Chocolate Mint Meltaways – Correct salt measurement is 1/4 teaspoon (1g).
- p. 106, Pates de Fruits – in steps 2 and 3, it should read “1 1/2 cups sugar,” NOT “1 cup sugar.”
- p. 123, Sea Salt Caramels – Pan size should be small (9”x13”). Vanilla only needs to be added once, in Step 5, NOT Step 4.
- pp. 125-131, Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels/ Fig-Ricotta Caramels/Brown Sugar-Coffee Caramels – Pan size should be small (9”x13”).
- p. 134, Beer & Pretzel Caramels – Pan size should be large (13”x18”); correct amount of cream should be 2 3/4 cups (700g).
- Extra tip: The recipe can be halved; just make sure to use half the amount of the reduction you made, or just reduce 3 bottles of beer instead of 6.
- Extra tip: After crushing the pretzels, shake them gently in a mesh strainer or colander to get rid of the pretzel-dust.
- p. 136, Beer Reduction – Extra tip: When reducing the beer, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to keep the foam down.
- p. 177, Buttermints – Extra tip: If you’re using a hand mixer, use soft butter; gently cream it first, then add the sugar 1 cup at a time until it’s incorporated. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour before rolling out and cutting (you may need to knead it a little to make it workable again).
- p. 196, Cinnamon Walnut Brittle – Correct corn syrup measurements is 3/4 cup (275g).
- p. 209, Bacon Buttercrunch – Correct butter measurement is 8 tablespoons (1 stick/115g).
- p. 268, King Bars – recipe calls for dark chocolate for enrobing; we usually use milk (though you can use dark too!)
- p. 280, Dorie Bar – For the cookie base, the correct butter measurement is 1 cup (2 sticks/230g), and should be chilled, NOT “very soft.” (Not sure how that one got through…)
- p. 283, Coconut-Lime Bars – Correct corn syrup measurement is 3 3/4 cups (875g).